Monday, July 14, 2008

...Not so "Sexy on Stripes"

So we survived the LONG train ride(s) from Split and arrived in Frankfurt yesterday morning. We stayed with Anslem and Rebecca at Anslem's place in town. Anslem gave us a very nice tour of the city. We also got to try some of the local specialty drink called Apfelwein or Apple Wine. It was quite nice after we got used to the taste, but it takes a bit because you keep expecting it to be sweet or have bubbles like juice or cider. To end the tour, we had drinks on top of a tall parking garage. Luckily, the top floor wasn't full with cars and it had a great view of the downtown skyline...

Last night we went for a traditional German dinner where we had schnitzel and more apfelwein, and it was VERY good! Usually, there is not much we can order at restaurants because we only recongnize a couple words on the menu (like brauts). So it was nice to get a great meal in. Afterwards, we went to the area where many of the bars are. It was pretty dead since it was Sunday night, but we still tried a couple different places... and managed to get a little drunk in the process. At this one place that just served cocktails, we ordered up some drinks and I just throught I'd try one of their margaritas. Unfortunately for me, I didn't know what the word in German is for strawberry. So when they brought out my "strawberry" margarita, it was in a martini glass with fruit. Yes, I should have been waving a rainbow flag while I had the margarita, but it made for a real good laugh... in fact, I think everyone else enjoyed the drink more than I did.
Today, we are taking a train to Ulm to visit Kathi and Bine. It is nice because now we are getting to visit two more cities and have local people to visit and get out of the hotels and tourist zones. I really can't thank Anselm and Rebecca enough for taking us in and showing us such a great time. Anselm is leaving to the land of Oz for 6 months tomorrow, so this is not really the best timing for us to visit, but if they ever read this blog...we really had a GREAT time and...

THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No comments: